Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Believe

This is the first in a several week-long series on the Apostles Creed.  It is a shorter lesson intended to simply introduce the topic.  The discussion lasted about 25 minutes and went fairly well.  However, it was a bit dry.  In the weeks to come, I intend to make the material more come more alive.

Apostle's Creed Week 1:

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended to the dead.  On the Third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, is seated at the right hand of the Father, and will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.

What is a Creed?
    Credo = I believe (i.e. “Creed”)

Brief History
    First known creed:
        “Jesus is Lord”
    Legend: 12 disciples all wrote one phrase
    Reality: It developed over time
        It developed out of Rome
        largely developed by second century
        Current form finalized by fourth century
        used more in East than in West


What do you think it means to believe?
    Give me some examples

Levels of belief
    Assent - "I believe that trees exist."
    Trust - "I believe my Math Teacher."
    Commitment - "I believe in a teaching or doctrine."
    Obedience - "I believe in God..."
          There is only one person to whom we are called to have utter obedience - God.

What things in the creed confuse you?
    interest you?

James 2:14-19
    Belief must lead to action or it is not belief

As we go through this series, we are going to talk about what we believe, but it must always lead to action!

No comments:

Post a Comment